Thursday, April 21, 2011

what i read today...

today i received my "momsense" magazine from MOPS international in the mail (side note... i heart MOPS... you should find one near you if you are a mom of a 5 or under-year-old).  as i was browsing through it during lunch time and not paying attention to my daughter pouring apple juice all over herself, i came across an article titled: Twins are Hard, Terrible Twos are Terrible and Silence is Golden Scary.  sounded interesting so i started to read, and when i finished i decided i HAD to share it.  i think you will... um... well, just read it:

On Saturday, my angels got up an hour early.  I don't do mornings, so I put on Sesame Street and dozed off on the couch.  Apparently my dozing had turned into full-on sleeping.  As the final song came on, I woke up, opened my eyes and saw that our game cupboards were opened and every game we owned was pulled off and dumped out.  Jenga, Pick-up Sticks, cards and chess pieces were strewn about our living room.  George was trying to talk on the Super Nintendo controller like a phone.  Patrick was trying to put chess pieces into the Super Nintendo game slot.  This was only the beginning.
That afternoon, after my husband, John, the boys and I had cleaned up the living room, I babysat for our dear friend, Maddy.  I put the boys in their room for a nap but didn't want to stay with them and leave Maddy alone.  So I prayed that they would sleep in their toddler beds and not get into everything.  The only things in their room are two beds, a taped-down monitor and closet doors held shut with tension rods.  How on earth could they get into trouble in there, right?  So I played with Maddy in the living room.
After about an hour, the monitor was quiet.  Could this be the first nap that the boys had fallen asleep by themselves?  I was so excited!  I decided to check in on them to be sure.  When I opened the door, George looked at me and said, "Monkey!"  All I could see were mounds of clothes, toys and books.  Somehow, my darlings had gotten the tension rod out of their door (mind you, it's about 5 feet off the ground) and pulled nearly everything out of their closet.  Needless to say, nap time was over.
Thankfully, yesterday our house required very little clean-up.  Today, however, is a different story.  Even though the boys don't take morning naps anymore, I still have them play in their room for about an hour after breakfast.  Since we have a small house, the change of scenery is good for them.  And I can take a shower and drink my coffee in peace.  Often, the "rest time" results in tears because someone steals someone's train, and the hour is cut short.  But today the boys played so nicely that they stayed in their room for the full hour.  In fact, they were giggling so much, I even considered leaving them for a bit longer.
As I opened their door, the strong scent of poop invaded my nose.  My two beautiful children had stripped off their clothes, torn off their diapers and were "painting" their room with poop.  The foot boards of their beds were painted.  The walls were painted.  And chunks of poop were on the floor and in the heater.  I closed the door.  I walked away.  I called John.  And then, I laughed a crazy, hysterical laugh.
by Kathryn Gleich

1 comment:

  1. dirty! this has happened over here before...except i dont laugh.

    ReplyDelete