Thursday, September 29, 2011

an introduction, part 1: i'm so proud of him

here he is, the hubs.  my honey.  my best friend.  sooo cute, right?

so let me introduce you to him:
1.  he hates chocolate (result: that empty bag of oreos was eaten entirely by me)
2.  he was a division 1 swimmer for butler university
3.  his favorite chick flick is "sweet home alabama"
4.  he has house clothes- a soft shirt and either basketball shorts or sweats that he dives into the minute he gets home.  it's a bad day when the house clothes don't get worn at least once
5.  watches every minute of the tour de france every summer
6.  the first baby he held was our daughter
7.  is an extremely gifted teacher, especially with sports
8. he doesn't like to talk about hypothetical situations, but he does like to day dream
9.  he likes to go unnoticed
10.  has competed in one full, one olympic distance and two half ironman triathlons.

and this last point is why i'm so proud of him.  a week and a half ago he finished his second half ironman triathlon.  after a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike, a 13.1 mile run, a flat tire, a broken derailer (apparently this is a very important bike piece?), and a torrential downpour, he finished in 5 hours and 29 minutes.  not quite the time he was hoping for.  and while he is disappointed, i couldn't be prouder.  this race showed who my husband is: he is dedicated to what he loves, he fights to finish no matter what the obstacles, he strives for excellence in all he does and is not satisfied with anything less.  he's my ironman (gotta throw some sort of cheesy line in here, right?)

at the start of the race... if you can't tell, that's nervousness and annoyance written on his face :)

2 comments:

  1. Erika - I LOVE this post. I'm not a big blog reader but saw the post on facebook and.... I'm so glad I did. I really love this list. I'm sad that I don't know your "family" now - but sure love the glimpses I have into it through facebook and your blog. Hope you are well my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know, james and i didn't really get along when we first met. LOL. but seriously, you have a great man and i am thankful for his friendship to nato all these years.

    ReplyDelete